New Orleans, Day One

I should give some background as to why I’m even in New Orleans, Louisiana (NOLA for short).  I never even thought to come here, so it wasn’t on my travel list.  A couple of months ago, I got an email from my sister, and she asked me if I wanted to go to NOLA.  I told her I didn’t have any interest, and asked her what was there.  Her response was “I don’t know, but flights are really cheap.”  That was enough of a reason for me, so in about 30 minutes we booked our flights for an impromptu vacation.  And now I’m blogging from NOLA.

We arrived on Sunday around 11:00 in the morning.  We bolted to our hotel, dropped off our luggage, and headed out to find some food for our hungry stomachs.  Luckily for us, we got a great deal on a snazzy four star hotel and that meant staying right in the French Quarters, and we walked over to Bourbon Street, which is pretty much the party street of the French Quarters-so it’s trashy and seedy, and smells.  But anyway, the restaurant we were heading to was just off Bourbon, called the Coffeepot Restaurant.

The Coffeepot Restaurant was BUSY, and must be popular because I saw a signed poster of one of the chefs on the Food Network, Guy Fieri, on the wall.  We had to wait to get a table.  This restaurant serves traditional creole food, and we ordered beans and rice and a seafood gumbo to split.  SO GOOD.  And no pics cause we were so determined to eat we didn’t even bring the camera.  Besides which we were so hungry I think we annihilated the meal in about 15 minutes.

On our way back to the hotel we passed by this truck where they were doing a crawfish boil.  My sister had done the research, and they just sell them until they sell out.  We wandered over to ask them how they sold them, and for 10 bucks you get 2 pounds of crawfish, 2 potatoes, and some corn.  The guy told us that the first pot would be ready in 10 minutes, so we took a walk back to Bourbon to amuse ourselves.  We found amusement: it was Easter Sunday and there was a parade.  People kept tossing mardi gras beads from the floats and some other trinkets and stuff.  I caught a couple (I was determined!) and after the parade, we headed back to buy some crawfish!

We ate them up pretty fast: it’s a bit of a messy meal, but much fun.  Then we decided to just chill in the afternoon, but for whatever reason, I got a massive headache and ended up being incapacitated for a few hours.  That sucked: my sister was on her own for dinner, but she brought back half a po’ boy for me: it was pretty good.

I felt better after eating (and some ibuprofen) so we headed out to a place called Snug Harbor and listened to a jazz band play.  They were awesome and it was a lot of fun to watch them perform, they were so into it.  Not to mention talented.  Makes me want to practice piano again.

We then proceeded to Brennan’s for some dessert.  Brennan’s has been around since 1946, and is known for their Bananas Foster.  We got an order of Bananas Foster and order of the Crepe Fitzgerald, which is a crepe with strawberries that is flambéed with some sort of alcohol (can’t remember what).  The restaurant actually has their recipe for the Bananas Foster online, here.  Here are some pics-the waiter brought over the pan with the ingredients and then flambéed them for us to watch.  That was pretty neat.

Our vacation was off to a great start!



Posted on April 27, 2011, in Travelling. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: